Saturday, December 4, 2010

Really Big Turkey

After watching the price per pound of turkeys, I decided to cash-in on some of the good deals. I got two BIG turkeys, one for 57 cents per pound and the other around 25 cents per pound. I had to go with the non-traditional method of cooking the turkey. I cooked it in a roaster pan on the stove top (we are still waiting on the appliance store to "fix" the oven). Anyways, after cooking a turkey, I decided that one is enough to last for a while. . . the other one will keep the freezer until Christmas.

Michael has been enjoying turkey sandwiches, while I have worked on freezing the cooked meat in ziplock bags. So far, I've put away 4 quarts with 4 cups per quart. We won't be needing meat for a while! The rest of the turkey I'm in the process of pressure canning. I was giving a wonderful pressure canner for our wedding and I thought I'd try it out. :) Thankfully it has a pressure-canning booklet with recipes, as my Blue Book is still packed away. Two quarts of turkey meat and hopefully three quarts of turkey broth will be done by the time Michael gets home from hunting tonight.

On a different note . . . the Bosch meat grinder works really good! After having some difficulty with the venison getting jammed in the grinder, we realized to just drop the pieces in and let the grinder pull it through. :) Now we are enjoying ground venison and put about 10 pounds in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. WhooHoo? We know where to come if we get hungry! How fun to use two of your weddings gifts--Bosch & pressure canner! Way to go Mrs. Shipley! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. That meat grinder is pretty sweet... especially once you figure out to use it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete