Friday, June 24, 2011

Finished Project

This week Christa asked if I would make a dress for her. She is serving at a wedding reception and was not able to find a good "blue" dress at any of the retailers. So, I dug around in my sewing stuff until I found some  patterns. She narrowed it down to these two patterns. Her final choice was the New Look pattern 6699, which I used to make bridesmaid's dresses for my wedding last year. I love the NL pattern because you can design the dress how you want it. :)
The pattern choices
 

Simplicity 2498 - View D was from Paula's wedding
The pink checkered is what Christa decided on, but no gathered overlay.
The material used was some I found at a garage sale. It was a super deal, 5 yards for three dollars. :) Christa came over Tuesday evening and helped me cut out the material. One major thing when cutting out a pattern is to go by your measurements not the size on the pattern! Thankfully, I remembered to check before we started cutting out. It saved us from having to cut out entirely new pieces.


The next day I set to work sewing! :) I must say that sewing side seams is much easier than piecing it all together. Christa was patient as I pinned her in and made sure everything fit correctly.

Christa had originally wanted ruffles on the straps, but once they were on she quickly realized it was not the look she was wanting! So, off they came and on I went making the bodice. Making the bodice took up the most time by far. Of course, some of that is because the pieces look so similar. It made the pieces way to easy to get the top and bottom switched around. I definitely got my fill of seam ripping. (One of my goals is to make a project without having to seam rip!)

The zipper was the last piece to go in. Whew, not having a zipper foot can make things complicated. However, this was my second dress to make without a zipper foot. So, I knew (thank you experience!) to sew the zipper in with HUGE stitches. (It makes seam ripping so much easier.) Unfortunately, by then my brain was tired and I forgot to pay attention to where the excess material was. So, out came my seam ripper.

Despite all the mistakes . . . I did finish the dress! I decided staying up late was better than getting up early this morning to finish it. lol So, one AM arrived and the dress was completed. :)



Finished!

Christa :)



Christa's tea-length dress


C&R + Adopted family :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the dress turned out. 5 yards for $3.00? What a steal! It makes me want to go garage saleing (expect it is w-a-y to hot). :)

    If you ever find the secret to a project with no seam ripping let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, AnnaGirl-
    Christa's dress is a nice color and style. Did you take a pic to post her modeling it? Know you are loved and thought of daily! Hope you are feeling great! Hugs-
    ~mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey . . . I'm still working on the no seam ripper goal. ;-)Oh ,you should seriously reconsider garage sales. lol Just go in the mornings, be done by noon and pack lots of ice water (or tea!) I recently found two dresses that will be perfect for weddings this summer. My favorite part . . . the dresses cost me less than $5 (for both). Even the consignment stores can't match that.
    Mom, I didn't think to get a picture of just Christa. Still I'll post the ones I did manage to get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Have you forgotten how early it gets hot around here? Nope, I'll think I'll wait till fall to venture out to a garage sale. :)

    I really like the pictures you added. What a nice looking family (adopted and all!)!

    ReplyDelete